National poetry writing month

National poetry writing month
A month of madness

Tuesday 28 May 2024

Drink

 
The police did pull me over
From my  vehicle just today
Dear Ms, have you been drinking?
Is something they did say

Oh no! I said quite firmly 
No booze has touched my lips
I've been a true teetotal 
Since 1986 

But you are drunk. They told me
We can smell it from a mile
A hint amontillado
Lingered firmly on my smile

I've been to lunch, I whimpered 
Maybe the tea was spiked
I skipped the starter menu
as the pudding I did like

In truth I did have seven
I pondered, maybe eight
I think it did get crowded 
with sherry trifles on my plate.

Sherry trifles, mmm, said the cop
It's something new it seems
Driving under influence 
Of fruit and cake and cream

At least we know,  he uttered
The reason for mistakes 
You stole and crashed an ice-cream van
Then parked it in a lake







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. You lovable weirdo