The Nemoralia fayre, also known as the Festival of Torches, is an ancient Roman festival from August 13–15 to honor the Goddess. Worshippers mainly women would carry torches around sacred lakes, wash their hair, and tie ribbons along the route. Pets and animals were sacred and no hunting was allowed.
I've done Nemoralia since the 1990s, mostly in secret. I used to live near a river. I'd sneak out to bath naked in the woodland stream I'd wash my hair under the moonlight, dress my hair with flowers and read dedications to the Goddess. Leave offerings under a nearby tree.
Now I am open to my faith. I spend time decorating the house with ribbon and flowers, candles, and leave out offerings of honey cakes, dates, apples, sandalwood and silver bowls full of moon water.
Some use mirrors, instead of water, a symbolic gesture to ancestors upon lake Nemi, where the ancient celebrations took place.
In the evening on the 13th, I only wash my hair with collected moon water, I do not live near a river now. Plus I think I'd shock the neighbours in all fairness.
It's very invigorating to wash your hair outside with cold water. Sitting on the grass as I do under the moon. You feel powerful afterwards. Blessed and full of energy.
I have an old besom that belonged to my grandmother. Hand held. I dip the brush in the water and bless the house, it's just something I have always done. And a remembrance to my grandma who first introduced me to the power of the moon and Diana.
And this is the thing, it's personal to you how you celebrate festivals.
the mother of the moon
For huntress of the wild
Shine light within the gloom
At the Nemoralia fayre
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting. You lovable weirdo